COMMUNITY DAY presented by BLUE CROSS BLUE SHIELD OF NC
SATURDAY OCTOBER 13, 11 AM to 4 PM
Recent studies show participation in cultural activities are associated with good health, satisfaction with life, as well as low levels of anxiety and depression. Through hands-on experiences led by current and alumni artists, Community Day at McColl Center for Visual Art will inspire children and adults of all ages to pursue a healthier and happier lifestyle by incorporating creativity into their lives.
- Yoga classes for children and adults conducted on the Center’s lawn. (30-minute sessions begin at 12:30 and 1:30 PM, led by Yoga One.)
- Contribute your creativity to Mel Chin's nationwide drawing project, Fundred Dollar Bill Project, that aims to eliminate the devastating effects of lead-contaminated soil that puts thousands of children at risk in residential environments.
- A portrait session led by JoAnn Sieberg-Baker allows participants to examine their perception of identity and take home their printed portrait on 6 X 4 card.
- Clay experiments with Tomoo Kitamura lets participants get their hands dirty and find out what happens when they push, pull, and pinch clay on the wheel.
- Discarded business cards, brochures, and flyers will be turned into a collaborative recycled sculpture project led by Susannah Mira using old McColl Center for Visual Art printed materials.
- Factor Yes: Visit John W. Love, Jr. to experience the affirming power of writing your yes.
- Create a self portrait to take home using drawing skills and printmaking techniques with Ibrahim Miranda
- Create a postcard to participate in the "Dear President Project" with Diana Arvanites and we will mail to the White House to raise awareness on issues including Autism awareness
- Pamela Z incorporates voice, electronics, gesture control, and video into short performances and demonstration at 1 PM and 3 PM
- Visit Environmental Artist-in-Residence Michael Haag and learn about solar cell leaf packs while young visitors can get their face painted with an environmental inspired image
- Sill life drawing sessions and other collaborative projects
- Harvest Moon Grille, Charlotte's authentic farm to fork restaurant will present a Chef Demonstration on how to source, prepare, and enjoy local seasonal food
- Charlotte B-Cycle will be on site to promote bike sharing along with bicycle safety demonstrations
Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina
Harvest Moon Grille
7th Street Public Market
For more information, contact Angela Grauel at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 704-332-5535.