Drawing Basics is a quick, step-by-step tutorial on the fundamentals of drawing and sketching, from holding the pencil to shading and mark-making techniques. This 30-minute art lesson, led by McColl Center alumna artist Allison Luce, is a jump-start for anyone who wants to learn basic drawing skills or keep a sketchbook.
What you’ll learn:
- Types of pencils and the marks they make
- Value scales and blending
- Hatching, cross-hatching, stippling, and scribbling techniques
- Structural sketching
- Contour drawing
- Ways to hold the pencil
What you’ll need to draw:
- A sketchbook
- Pencils (the lab will cover HB, 2B, and 4B grades, but you can use an everyday No. 2 pencil to start as an HB equivalent)
- An eraser (gray, pink, or white)
Enjoy Drawing Basics? Check out our other Mini Art Labs.