OPEN CALL FOR ARTISTS-IN-RESIDENCE IN PARTNERSHIP WITH ATRIUM HEALTH
- Residency Dates: January 6, 2020–April 28, 2020 (16 weeks)
- Application Deadline: May 15, 2019
- Application Fee: $35 nonrefundable
Since 1999, McColl Center has partnered annually with Atrium Health, one of the leading healthcare organizations in the Southeast, to support one artist-in-residence in a medical setting in order to explore how the arts can extend or enhance healthcare and healing. Artists-in-residence in this program have worked in various areas of the healthcare system, facilitating opportunities for self-reflection and creative expression for patients and staff.
McColl Center seeks project proposals from local and regional artists for the Winter/Spring 2020 season. Artists may work in drawing, painting, sculpture, photography, film, video, new media, or interdisciplinary practices. We look for artists who are engaged in research and investigation and who are interested in the healthcare system as both site and subject for their work. Successful proposals will clearly state how the artist’s project will advance the theme of healthcare and healing and actively engage Atrium patients and/or staff.
Examples of past projects include:
- A portraiture project addressing the changing identities of ten women experiencing breast cancer and chemotherapy and confronting issues about beauty, femininity, and motherhood
- Artist-led drawing and guided-meditation workshops at Levine Cancer Institute
- A series of 3D works created in collaboration with medical staff to identify, select, and reimagine patients’ brain scans
Applications are only accepted online via SlideRoom. Please review eligibility requirements below, learn more about our residency program, and read the application and work sample guidelines before beginning your application.
- Minimum age: 21
- Students are not eligible
- McColl Center alumni artists should wait five years before applying for another residency. Artists are limited to two residencies at McColl Center.
Selected artists receive:
- $6,000 stipend
- 24-hour access to a private studio with Wi-Fi and common use areas
Participation in a group exhibition on the second and/or third floor of McColl Center
- Photo and social media documentation
- Technical and administrative services
- Professional guidance from a visiting curator
- Opportunities to engage with McColl Center audiences via public programs
SlideRoom will confirm receipt of your submitted application. The application review process may take up to fourteen weeks after the application deadline. Notifications to all applicants will be sent via email after the selection panel has made its final decision.
UPCOMING OPEN CALLS FOR ARTISTS-IN-RESIDENCE
Summer 2020 – Application period opens April 2019
Fall 2020 – Application period opens early May 2019